Parental Voice and Participation
At Glossopdale School we are very keen to hear the views of our students’ parents and carers about to how we are doing and value the support and feedback of our wider school community. Below you will find some of the ways in which we encourage positive and meaningful relationships with the parents and carers of our students.
Summary of current practice:
- Our school website offers a wide range of information for parents on a variety of school subjects and is usually the first point of call for parents who need clarification on how our school operates.
- One central point of email contact for parents and carers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Contact Us page on the school website with information about key roles and responsibilities within the school with a direct e-mail address for a specific contact.
- All of our students have their own planners for direct correspondence between home and school.
- We use In Touch text messages and emails to contact parents on a regular basis and the Classcharts app is used to receive information regarding students’ THRIVE achievements and behaviour.
- Each fortnight we will send home a Parent/Carer Bulletin and an additional Sixth Form Information Bulletin for Year 11 and Sixth Form parents/carers with important and useful information.
- Each half term we send home a newsletter which celebrates the achievements, events, trips and work in which our students and staff have been involved.
- Student Services Reception staffed throughout the school day to support communication and student support.
- We hold Parents’ Evenings for every year group. We encourage students to attend these alongside parents and carers for a meaningful discussion about their progress.
- Parents and Carers receive reports about student progress throughout the year. Year 7 – 9 receive 2 reports, Y10-11 receive 3 reports and Y12-13 also receive 3 reports.
- We hold Parent Information Evenings for parents/carers of students in years 7 – 13 (See the Parent Information Evenings page on our website).
- “Meet the Tutors” Evening for Year 7 parents/carers takes place early in the new academic year.
- We have Options Evenings for Years 9 parents/carers and a Sixth Form Open Evening for Year 11
- An Induction Evening is held for Year 6 parents and prospective Year 12 parents and students in the Summer term.
- We seek to involve the parents in celebrating success through contact home and Presentation Evenings held in the summer term for main school and in the autumn term for the Sixth Form.
- We hold coffee mornings for parents of students who are supported by Learning Support.
- Parents are involved in the creation of Student Profiles for students who receive support from Learning Support and for some students who are entitled to Pupil Premium support.
- Parental courses are held in school on topics such as eSafety, Social Media, Substance Misuse, etc.
- Parental courses are held in school on topics such as eSafety, Social Media, Substance Misuse, family support for Mental Health Issues (such as anxiety, low mood and self harm) etc
- Parental Questionnaires are given out at parents’ evenings and these inform our school improvement strategies.
- Strategic Leadership Team attendance at the PTA meetings.
- Our Facebook page is used to aid information sharing and celebration of student achievements.
- Parental tours for students in Years 5 or 6 and their parents or carers to ensure that our future students are confident in the decision that they make to attend Glossopdale School, getting a real feeling for school life and our day-to-day student experience.
Ofsted Parent View
Our Parent Questionnaire can be found Here .
We would encourage parents to please complete an Ofsted Parent View Questionnaire via this link: https://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/